Thursday, November 29, 2007

Weight Loss Struggle

Several college students experience weight gain. I personally have gained 15 pounds during my college years. This weight gain has had an impact on me physically and mentally. I am extremely conscious of how I look in clothes and prefer to wear sweaters and jeans. Some people gain weight in different regions of their body. Unfortunately all my weight gain is in my abdominal area. Having excess fat in this region is primarily dangerous for women. Studies indicate excess weight in the abdominal region is related to various forms of cancer and other pathology.
The struggle to lose the weight has been challenging. My initial attempts were choosing avenues that did not require much effort. These efforts included herbal life shakes to supplement meals and a carbohydrate free diet. These efforts ended in failure. During this period I exercised occasionally with friends by running the track at a local park. Occasional exercise does not provide results either.
In 2003, my mother died of a massive heart attack which influenced a different approach of fitness and wellness. I decided that my number one priority would be heart health. Heart disease is the number one killer of women worldwide. My second priority is eliminating the excess weight in my abdominal region.
My approach for fitness and wellness is consistently working out. At the gym, at least four times a week, I do cardio for a minimum of 40 minutes on the tread climber or the elliptical (these burn the most calories). In addition, I do some weight training as an attempt to tone up my challenging zones. To prevent getting bored with the same routine I attend various classes including yoga and cycling. I also use cardio kickboxing videos at home. My workout efforts are reinforced by having a workout buddy. We keep each other motivated and consistent with working out on the days that we are tired from school or work. In addition to physical fitness I modified my food intake.
My food intake was modified by meeting with the Nutritionist at the UCI Student Health Center. She provided a list of information about foods to avoid, portions, and reading food labels. This meeting was beneficial because I learned how to modify my meals in order to improve my health and also help me achieve my goal of weight loss. The most beneficial aspect was becoming aware of common ingredients in food products such as salad dressings, breakfast bars, yogurt, and juice that need to be avoided. In addition, I am currently taking the UCI Freshman Nutrition Seminar class so I can learn more about nutrition in order to improve my health. This class focuses on various aspects of nutrition including vitamin deficiencies, weight control, and sleep.
I have managed to lose half of the weight that I gained. My successful effort is attributed to consistently working out at the gym and modifying my food intake. For those struggling to lose weight here are my personal recommendations:

First: Visit the UCI Student Health Center and set up an appointment with the Nutritionist (the appointment is free). The Nutritionist will ask you about your typical meals. In addition the Nutritionist will go over foods to avoid, portions, and food labels. The Nutritionist is friendly and willingly embraces questions. This information will help you modify your diet.

Second: Visit your physician to determine what level of cardio exercise your body can handle according to your weight, height, and blood pressure. This is important to prevent strain on your heart. Your doctor can also order lab test to determine other factors that may challenge weight control.

Third: Take the Freshman Seminar Nutrition Class. You don’t have to be a freshman (this is my last quarter at UCI and I am currently taking the class). The class focuses on various nutrition topics. Professor Jurnak is a valuable resource and offers a wealth of knowledge. Book recommendation: The Smart Students Guide to Healthy Living by
MJ Smith & F. Smith.


Fourth: Have a consistent work out routine. Try different workout classes at the ARC or your gym, get a workout buddy, and try exercise videos for those days with time constraints.

No comments: